The Development Director will lead the development strategy to ensure the sustainable advancement of Just Solutions’ mission. Core responsibilities include: developing a long-term fundraising and donor development strategy to achieve program growth objectives; securing funding to meet or exceed annual budget needs; maintaining and building donor relationships; and developing and overseeing grants management databases and systems and other relevant project management tools to execute fundraising efforts. Given the urgency of the climate crisis, we have an ambitious plan to scale our leadership voice, reach, and impact. Within our first two years, our budget has increased to nearly $3 million and we anticipate more significant growth moving forward as we transition to an independent 501 c(3) organization. As such, we are searching for a Development Director who has a proven track record of raising and sustaining resources for organizations that are in a rapid period of expansion and change.
The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director to set strategy, troubleshoot, and revise plans as needed. They will engage board members and staff in fund development activities and will collaborate with the Communications team to increase brand awareness and consistency. As Just Solutions enters a period of significant growth, this is an opportunity for a seasoned leader to shape organization-wide vision, strategy, and development.
Below are specific required and preferred skills and abilities for this position.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Minimum 8+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Successful track record in grant writing, management, reporting, and prospect research.
- Experience in developing and managing funding opportunities for organizations planning to grow into the $5-$10+ million range.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills. Ability to effectively express verbally and in writing the importance of this work.
- Proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with individual donors and foundations.
- Relevant experience leading within a startup work environment.
- Ability to reliably work within deadlines, take initiative, manage multiple ongoing tasks, and strategize collaboratively in a team setting.
- High proficiency with project management systems for tracking grant deadlines, submissions and other funder communications, and coordinating stewardship activities.
- Incredible organization skills and attention to detail, an innovative approach to systems building and management.
- Experience fundraising in the environment policy space or understanding of funders that intersect with the movement for climate justice – environmental health, housing, economic development, transportation.
- Experience working in the non-profit sector either as a paid employee or a volunteer, especially in nonprofits which are BIPOC-led and/or work in BIPOC communities.
- Experience working closely with remote staff across the country.
For a complete overview of the position summary, job responsibilities, qualifications and more, please view the job description here.
Salary: $140,000- $170,000
Reports to: Executive Director
Please submit a current resume, cover letter, and a writing sample addressed to: Aiko Schaefer, Executive Director. Please send these materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled, qualified candidates will be invited to interview on a rolling basis.